Preparing for a Home Inspection
Having the property ready for an inspection can prevent unnecessary delays. For liability reasons, inspectors do not move personal property. Most inspectors will charge an additional fee if they return to the property to inspect items that were not accessible or if the utilities were off.
The buyer/seller should confirm that:
- All utilities (electric, water, gas) are on
- All pilot lights are lit
- All locks are removed or unlocked from areas that may prohibit inspector accessibility such as attics, doors, etc.
- Attic access is clear
- Crawl space (if provided) access is clear
- Electrical panels are accessible and not locked
- Water heater is accessible
- Furnace is accessible
- Cooling system is accessible
- Built-in kitchen appliances are accessible and ready to operate
- Pets are secure